Author Topic: wilson lake loop  (Read 826 times)

Offline PointsNorth

• HMMM wonder what to do?? ICLICK!!!
  • pin it too win it
Re: houston wheeling
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »

of course he had learn the hard way about ice as this is his first winter walking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Points North Automotive Houston BC

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
we stuck around for 45 minutes on the lake got a couple bites but I was there more to predator hunt so we packed up the kid and the dog and started back tracking. Following the sxs and quad tracks they had taken option#2 the other logging road  access to Wilson lake which would mean more elevation and more snow and with daylight fading fast I opted for #3  the old wagon/jeep trail which for the most part is a straight shot down the south facing side of the mountain. fingers crossed somebody had been through there since the last time i was thru and cut any blow down out lol

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 03:15:17 AM »

Took a couple try’s to find it and by the looks of it nobody had been up or down it this fall meh I’d have gravity and momentum on my side.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:17:19 AM by lwb86 »

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 03:54:48 AM »
having not been on this trail as a driver in some time I was surprised at  the amount of detours and bypasses that had been made on the trail and how the original trail had actually become a challenge had i been trying to got up. with us going down the main assent all i had to worry about was not getting hung up on boulders and in actuality most of the  bypasses were worse then the trail as most where really soft looking or on a side hill covered in sharp willow sticks waiting to punch a tire.

the last couple vnotches have all but grown in with the lower having been blocked with someone bucking up a huge poplar to block the lower part. that is also where we encountered out first real road block

Offline BEEFY

• Dang helpful wheeler!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 04:07:01 AM »
very nice, Still waiting for the ice to get thicker so I can get out.

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
Having issues with posting pics right now otherwise I’d finish post up the rest of the story.

Offline kimmer

• old school rules
  • old school.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 01:47:10 PM »
i cant post any pics either
70 bronco 35's
74 bronco  35's
78 super cab shortbox
96 bronco 33's

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 03:54:25 AM »
as we came out of the old cut block we ran into huge spruce tree down. remember it had only brought my axe. yeah this was going to be fun. after a quick look at thing it was decided if we cut all branches off on the outside of the turn i would probably squeek under. so while buddy started on that I hiked down to make sure it was going to be passable. the next five hundred meters to the next good turn around had only one more spruce treedown so we were good that far.

got back to the tracker and with a bit of guidance i was able to squeeze by with only a small divot in the roof. after drive several hundred meters of what was once road but is now a spring run off route littered with watermelon sized rocks, we came to the next downed tree. unlike the first it was laying flat on the ground and its entire 60 foot length was on the road. by bucking off the top 1/3 and limbing the rest of it i was able to get around it. atthis point wewere also encountering several sets of hunters footprints so i knew that there were a couple issues left with the road
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:58:54 AM by lwb86 »

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
Re: wilson lake loop
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2018, 04:17:44 AM »
next up was the two creek crossings which was most likely the reason no one was attempting it this far. both of which are mountainside creeks so they have been known to change week to week in the past first up was the one that has given me trouble in the past with a lifted sami and lockers. but it was double wide and two wheel drive entry and exit. still no truck tracks on the opposite side of the creek.

next up was the "easy" crossing as it been filled with cut logs and stacked rock for as long i can remember, as the opposite bank is about four feet higher that the side we would approach at. Did I mention these creeks can change week to week.

so previuosly mentioned cut loggs and stacked rocks are long gone. what we did have was a decent on polish round rocks and boulders with a 60 degree smooth surface climb out. going in I kept my momentum up as I forsaw the grinding reciever on the bigg ass boulder dead center on the best line
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:18:21 AM by lwb86 »

Offline PointsNorth

• pin it too win it
Re: wilson lake loop
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2018, 04:31:52 AM »
Got the grinding the reciever on the boulder over with first trying but as the opposing bank was smooth and covered with several inches of snow i was denied but ended up with the rear farther down stream with the big boulder no longer a problem. Now all i had to do was high mark the bank high enough so all i had to do was  turn left to basically sidehill  the tracker on to the road. On attempt three i made it.

coming up to the first wide spot were several sets of tire tracks in the snow where people had turned around rather then attempt the creek.But they were old like from before the last heavy rainfall we had here ( yeah rain fall in winter )